Healthy ageing can be defined as day to day activities and actions that are done to lessen the chance of being sick and ailment. This can be done by increasing you health physically, emotionally and mentally. It can also be defined as fighting sickness and ailments by using lifestyle alteration.
If you want to take joy in healthy ageing you must be physically fit by:
1. Performing routine exercises such as walking and jogging which are less strenuous are very beneficial to your health.
2. Eating a well balanced diet containing green leafy vegetables, whole grains and fruits.
3. Sleep can help in reducing the levels of your stress hormones so it is very important to get enough sleep.
4. Stop smoking. It is well known that smoking cigarettes is harmful to your health as it heightens the chances of having major issues with your health.
5. Alcohol should be taken moderately. During festive seasons, binge drinking should be avoided as this has a major impact on your liver.
6. Obesity can develop to an illness that is life threatening if it is not monitored well and therefore impacts negatively on healthy ageing.
7. Taking breaks away from day to day activities is essential. As the saying goes, ‘a change is as good as a rest,’ breaks can act as morale booster.
Remember it is important to have yearly medical examinations so that if there is a problem, it can be dealt with earlier and help you enjoy healthy ageing.